Mortgage Lending Advice : Why Winter is The Best Time to Buy a Mortgage.
For most people, winter is one of the least convenient times to shop for a home. Whether the weather’s keeping them inside, the holidays are eating up their free time, or they just don’t want to potentially mess with their child’s school year, homebuyers are simply not on the hunt. Here are five reasons why it’s ideal to look for a home during the colder months.
- Bargain Prices: There may be fewer buyers out and about, but there will still be houses on sale during the winter causing supply to exceed demand in the housing industry. Because of this home prices are usually at an annual low around January, meaning you will probably end up with more for your money.
- Motivated Sellers: Generally, if a homeowner lists their home in winter it’s because they need to move from their property for one reason or another. You can then use this to your advantage to get a better deal as they’re usually more willing to negotiate.
- Less Competition: Since most people don’t think of winter as prime house hunting season, there’s much less competition in the market. Less competition means there are fewer chances of there being multiple offers on any one property, so you won’t have to worry nearly as much about someone having a better offer.
- Availability of Professionals: Again, fewer people are looking at houses now than during the rest of the year. You won’t have nearly as much competition for a home or for the attention of real estate professionals. Both real estate agents and lenders will have fewer clients to worry about so they’ll be able to spend more time with you answering your questions.
- Seasonal Perspective: When you tour a home in the summer, it’s hard to imagine what life would be like there in the winter. Are there drafts? Does the heat seem to be working well? Are you cold as you walk around? If you live somewhere where the winter weather is particularly harsh, touring a house during that time and seeing how well the heating and insulation actually work could actually be more beneficial than touring in the warmer months.
Despite all these facts, it’s important to remember that the best time to buy a house is the time that works best for you. So, if you should find yourself buying a home this winter call Homestead Funding for all your home financing needs!